- Appoints the chair persons of all standing committees; is member ex-officious of same
(except auditing and nominating committees).
- Provides overall leadership to the Society.
- Conducts the proceedings of all meetings except standing committee meetings.
- Serves as chairperson of the Executive Board.
- Designates committees.
- Represents the Society in matters of community and public relations.
- Performs the duties of the President in his/her absence or at his/her request.
- Assists the President in activities necessary to the benefit of the Society.
- Confirms Society meeting location, date/time, program details and requirements are met.
- Confirms program details with Webmaster to be posted on website
- Confirms Membership Chairman emails each member.
- Assists Program Committee where required for scheduled programs.
- Becomes the President at the end of the President’s term.
- Oversees the custody of funds, securities and assets of the society.
- Keeps an accurate account of the receipts and disbursements and prepares a true statement of
the society’s assets and liabilities at the close of the fiscal year.
- Prepares an annual budget including receipts and disbursements for Executive Board review
no later than the February meeting.
- Makes the financial information available in a form available if members of the public request
this information (suggest link to the status of PSNC’s finances on website, or etc.)
- An assistant treasurer shall be appointed by the Executive Board and shall perform the duties
of the Treasurer should the Treasurer be unable to fulfill these duties.
- Takes concise minutes of all Executive Board and Society general meetings and these minutes
are present for approval at the following meeting or by posting on website in section designated
for archive of minutes.
- Responsible for archiving minutes of Executive Board and Society meetings.
- Maintains all written correspondence as designated by the Executive Board; archive d minutes
will be passed down to new Secretary.
The Past President (Director)
- Is the Director of the Society.
- Aids in the transition of officers.
- Offers expertise for the following two years while the president is in office. When a new
board is elected, the sitting President becomes the new Past President or Director.
Zoom Coordinator and Video Editor
- Sets-up Zoom meetings for in-person and online meetings for Board or Membership.
- Attends in-person meetings to stream the meeting live (or gets a substitute to do this.)
- Sets-up Zoom to record all meetings and edits them before sending them to the members. (This
is optional since they do not have to be edited but it is nice to be able to do so.)
- Hosts/runs online meetings (or designates another person to host/run the meeting. S/he may
also set up a co-host to do this who will have the same access as the host. People can be shown
how to do this. If the meeting is set up properly to begin with and the person knows how to login,
the recording is automatic.)
- Uploads recorded demos to our YouTube Channel (in coordination with Google
Google Accounts Administrator and Digital Librarian
- Maintains list of members by providing Google accounts for new members and deleting those
who choose not to renew.
- Receives the minutes from Board and membership meetings in order to put them in the correct
Google Drive folder so they are accessible on the website.
- Maintains PSNC documents on Google Drive for consistency and accessibility to future
- The Digital Library is housed in four of PSNC’s Google accounts. The Digital Librarian shares
the files for limited times, provides access to these files. (The Digital Library is very closely tied
to the Google Accounts, it is logical to include this with the Google Administrator position.)
Programs: Responsible for the programs at each meeting, and for inviting, confirming and
reminding presenters by phone or email. (This task is made easier by surveying members for
their instructor preferences, and then contacting those artists.) Provides a written note of thanks
to the presenters following the event. Reports to the Vice President.
Exhibitions: Responsible for ensuring the Society holds public exhibits at least once each
year. Responsible for communicating the display requirements of each gallery to the members
(e.g., restrictions on subject matter, hanging requirements). Responsible for ensuring the artwork
is properly exhibited at each show. This includes all the necessary components of providing a
professional show and ensuring all paintings are delivered and retrieved at designated time.
Publicity and Marketing: Ensures the Society receives widespread exposure in the media,
including, but not limited to local, regional, and state newspapers, newsletters both in print and
through internet, radio and television, when available.
Hospitality: Plans and executes reception accommodations, foods and accouterments.
Coordinates receptions with gallery or exhibition location; works in tandem with the Exhibition
Committee. Maintains neat, sanitary and decorative appearance of food and tables during
reception, and secures clean-up team after the event.
Workshop: Coordinates elements necessary to conduct workshops including instructor,
location, dates, times, equipment requirements, etc. Maintains communication with instructor by
phone or email; manages needs of instructor, and provides written note of thanks to instructor
following the event. Works with marketing committee for fliers, payments and cancellation
notice if necessary. Ombudsman for workshop participants to include registration, materials
distribution, classroom set-up and help with housing for out of state people. Writes Instructor
Agreement and acquires signature on an Instructor Agreement which includes the terms
negotiated by both parties.
Membership and Communications: Maintains Contact List of Current Members and PSNC
New Email Account including home, studio, email, and website addresses and phone numbers
(via a spreadsheet) on the PSNC Google Drive for ease of distribution to membership. Sends a
welcome note to new members, and annual membership cards after individual dues are received.
Provides each member with a name tag to wear during in-person meetings. Records visitors to
online meetings. Distributes news/announcements for the other board/committee members.
Website: Acts as the PSNC’s Webmaster, ensuring the website contains accurate news
announcements, member news, program information, and archive information. Keeps the
Word press CMS up to date with regular plug-in and theme updates as needed. Updates
online membership list, creates artist’s web pages, and maintains the website blog (which
serves as the organization’s newsletter).
Auditing: Consists of at least two members and the Treasurer, and examines the financial
records each year at the end of the calendar year, and reports findings to the Society membership.
Nominating: Consists of one to three members, assembles a recommended slate of officers for
the following year by polling all members by phone. This slate of officers will be presented at the
October meeting and/or online through the website or email notification at which time other
nominations can be made from the floor. Tallies the votes at the end of the voting period and
present the results to the Executive Board and at the December meeting.
Historian: Maintains documentation of the Society and its accomplishments including
photographs, videos, new articles, publications, etc. that mention the Pastel Society of North
Carolina since its inception as a non-profit status North Carolina entity. Encourages members to
view the Society’s history by sending (via email or on Society’s website) retrospective look at
past events, exhibitions, shows and gatherings.
Librarian: Maintains and manages the Society’s collection of DVDs, books, and magazines
and the funds associated with the library. Submits receipts and an Excel spreadsheet of financial
records for the library to the Treasurer quarterly. Submits requests for new materials to the
Executive Board for approval. Ensures that members have access to rent library materials at all
general meetings and work with Website manger to ensure a current list of available materials is
accessible on the society website.
Parliamentarian: Assists the President and/or Vice President in ensuring the meeting
progresses in a timely and orderly manner. Helps take the politics and heat out of situations
because we are committed to following Robert’s Rules.
Statewide Committee: This is usually two people who manage the Statewide Show when
PSNC hosts and coordinates with the sister societies when they host the event. We also need a
committee for “Statewide Awards”.